Self esteem is the confidence we have in our abilities and own worth. Every day we witness remarkable self-esteem building within our Envision Unlimited family. Confidence plays a big role in how our members achieve their greatest potential.
We have a legacy of innovation at our core that empowers people with disabilities to grow toward independence, have more choice and experience greater inclusion. We never stop settling for what is, so we can create what can be for the members, families, and caregivers we serve.
Here are just a few recent moments of our members in action:
- We had a big contingent participating in the Illinois Special Olympics Winter Games. You can read more in this issue on their hard work and medal recognition in snowshoeing.
- Valentine’s Day was a time to share the love with our neighbors with Kruger Center members passing out candy and cards to local partners and Westtown Center members making care kits and valentine treats for the homeless in Humboldt Park.
- During a community library outing to research Black History Month, members also obtained their library cards to they can now check out and enjoy books and movies.
- We give back to the community with weekly sessions where our members volunteer to bag food at the Evening Star Food Pantry that gets distributed to people in need.
- At the annual Chicago Auto Show outing, members had great independence enjoying lunch, celebrating a birthday, and even leading their peers through the event like they were giving a special tour.
- Organizing and being part of movie nights are always great fun and recently 14 members from our Frick Center went on an expedition outing to the Chatham Theater for dinner and a movie.
- Our Neighbors Program is also a great opportunity for members to learn they are entitled to utilize their time and money as they please and have the right to access the community in which they live.
Self esteem comes from defining the world in your own terms. That’s a cornerstone of our programs and support services at Envision Unlimited. To recognize our members living their best, most self-determined lives is our greatest joy.