Members from Envision Unlimited Frick Center traveled to Galena, in late January, to compete against other Illinois athletes in three days of Special Olympics snowshoe racing. They had a wonderful time.
Day 1 - Pure excitement: Our athletes competed in a 50M preliminary race, attended opening ceremonies in downtown Galena, marched in a parade with the fire department, then had dinner at Elk's Lounge.
Day 2 – More racing: Everyone raced in 50M and 100M races, then attended the victory dinner dance celebration and enjoyed the night.
Day 3 - One more race: Our athletes competed in another 100M race for the gold, had a huge lunch, then boarded their coach bus to return home.
Winners one and all:
- Michael J - Gold and bronze medals
- Scott C - Gold and bronze medals
- Majorie C - Gold medal and 4th ribbon
- Dana J - Silver medal
- Nina G - Silver medal and 6th ribbon
- Andrew K - 4th ribbon
- Mark M - 4th and 5th ribbon
- Derrick G - 4th and 5th ribbon
- Debbie C - participation ribbon
Special shout out to coaches Reyanna Johnson, Allegra Williams, and Charlene Brown for enabling our athletes inclusion in this event and leading them to success.